Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse

From the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet:

On Monday 12 November 2012 the Prime Minister announced that she will be recommending to the Governor-General the establishment of a Royal Commission into institutional responses to instances and allegations of child sexual abuse in Australia.

The Terms of Reference and the membership of the Commission are currently being developed. These arrangements will be discussed with Premiers and Chief Ministers, as well as survivors groups, religious leaders and community organisations in coming weeks. The Attorney General, the Hon Nicola Roxon MP, and the Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, the Hon Jenny Macklin MP, will co-ordinate this work on behalf of the Commonwealth Government in coming weeks.

Individuals and organisations wishing to provide input to be considered by the Royal Commission will have ample opportunity to do so. The terms of reference for the Royal Commission will ask that it seek submissions from the public. The Commission will also have the power to call witnesses and take evidence. It is likely the Royal Commission will begin its work in early 2013.

If you wish to be kept advised on the establishment of the Royal Commission or if you would like your details passed on to the Secretariat to the Royal Commission, you may provide an email or postal contact address through one of the following ways:

Telephoning the national call centre on: 1800 099 340
Email to the following address:
By post to the following address:

Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse
PO Box 6555

This information would only be disclosed to the Commission’s Secretariat for the purpose of contacting you to provide information about how to make a submission. It would not be used or disclosed for any other purpose.

The Secretariat is likely to be able to provide the details of the arrangements for the making of submissions to the Commission in early 2013.

If you or someone you know is a victim of child sexual abuse, this should be reported to the police in your state or territory. They are the appropriate authority for investigating specific cases of child sexual abuse and they will be able to put you in contact with support agencies and counselling services that specialise in assisting victims.

While the Royal Commission will likely consider the circumstances of specific individuals and institutions through its inquiries, it will not conduct investigations or prosecutions into those matters.

Support services are available to help those affected. A list of victim support groups available in each state/territory will be made available on this website shortly.

Should you require immediate or crisis support, please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14. Lifeline provides 24 hour support to all Australians experiencing a personal crisis. 

The Government has established Find and Connect support services across Australia to provide counselling and support to people affected by child abuse. You can contact your local support service on 1800 161 109.

Published on .

Web Design